Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just Checking In

So, I finally have a chance to get back on here and update a bit of my life :P I'm in Baltimore right now, visiting my dad's side of the family. We only get to do this twice a year and for me, this trip is my only one this year because of the timing of reading week. We're staying with my Grandpa, and have plans to see the remainder of the family sometime this week. This is my second trip down here without my grandmom's laughter being heard from the kitchen as we enter the house. I can almost hear her laughing along side my mum and dad as they clean up the supper dishes and it makes me smile. My grandmom loved laughing, and when she really got going she had everyone else at the table giggling too. Each year here gets a little easier. A few less tears, a few more smiles. To speak her name and to think on her hugs and amazing cooking is now a cause to smile instead of causing you to leave the room or hold back tears. She was an amazing lady, and the only thing that still makes me a bit sad is that I did not see her as much as I would have liked.
What is kind of neat though, is all of her belongings that we keep coming across as we clean up or try to find places to put out luggage :) A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take up knitting. Half of it was learned through youtube, the other from my mother (as it should be), and off I went. The firs scarf (which I have yet to finish), turned out quite horribly. Many a dropped stitch, many a hole and I learned after the fact that the needles I was using were about 4 sizes too small for the yarn I had chosen :P None the less I carried on and the near-finished project is at least the length a scarf should be :) All this to say, that on our yearly trip to the craft store, I decided to get some new wool, or string.....whatever it's called, and start again. Coming home, my mum remembered that she had seen some of my grandmom's old knitting needles in the back of one of the closets. So I am now working on my second scarf (which is turning out quite well), with a pair of needles that she used to lovingly create gifts for her family and friends. It's one more thing that reminds me of her and one more thing that makes me smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment